Laurie Walters, OTR/L, CHT
Laurie’s entire career as an occupational therapist has been devoted to the care of individuals with shoulder, elbow, wrist, and hand injuries. As an occupational therapist she focuses not only of the actually disease or injury, but on the functional impact to the person as a whole.
Laurie has continuously advanced her skills through hand therapy and occupational therapy continuing education. She has also developed her professional skills by working directly with physicians, other therapists, and numerous other allied health professionals. Over the years, she has made thousands of custom hand splints (orthoses) and adaptive equipment designed to solve difficult problems.
Laurie is well known and respected by physicians, patients, and other therapists in the Snohomish county area. She has practiced solely in Snohomish County for the past 20 years. She excels in the area of developing practices in rural areas and started many clinics that are still in existence today (Monroe, Marysville, Smokey Point and Everett). She was awarded the Outstanding Contributor Award by The Everett Clinic after being part of the team to build and create the first comprehensive Hand Center.
When she is not working, Laurie enjoys spending time with her husband and two children. She enjoys working with her own hands to create stained glass and to knit.
- 2012 – present Certified Hand Therapist Hands for Living LLC, Lynnwood, WA
- 2011 – 2012 Certified Hand Therapist Pacific Avenue Hand Therapy, IRG, Everett, WA
- 2009 – 2011 Lead, Certified Hand Therapist Northwest Hand and Orthopedics, Shoreline, WA
- 2003 – 2008 Lead, Certified Hand Therapist The Everett Clinic Hand Center, Everett, WA
- 1998 – 2003 Certified Hand Therapist, Clinic Manager, Board of Directors, Cascade Rehabilitation Associates, Smokey Point, WA
- 1995 – 1998 Hand Therapist, Clinic Manager Eagle Rehabilitation/Healthsouth, Everett, Monroe, and Marysville, WA
Education & Qualifications
- 2001 Certified Hand Therapist – Hand Therapy Certification Commission (HTCC)
- 1995-present Extensive continuing education in rehabilitation of the hand, arm, and shoulder
- 1995 Certification by U.S. National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT)
- 1994 Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy – University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, WA
- American Society of Hand Therapists
- American Society of Surgery of the Hand, Affiliate
- Washington Occupational Therapy Association
- Washington Hand Therapy Coalition