Hand therapy is a specialized area of occupational therapy. It focuses on treating orthopedic upper-extremity issues to optimize the functional use of the arm and hand.
Typical conditions that affect the hand are lacerations, amputations, tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, fractures and rheumatoid arthritis. In general, hand therapy focuses on the biomechanical issues of upper-extremity conditions. It’s a patient-centered approach that addresses the needs of the patient, such as being able to lift things, open a jar, or button a shirt.
Hand therapy interventions by an occupational therapist may include therapeutic exercises, mirror therapy, orthosis design, pain management, manual therapy, taping, ergonomics and compression therapy. Activities for a hand injury with an occupational therapist may include working with putty, using a gripper and using dumbbells.
The benefits of hand therapy are many:
- Preventative, non-operative or conservative treatment
- Management of acute or chronic pain
- Desensitization following nerve injury or trauma
- Sensory re-education after nerve injury
- Design and implementation of home exercise programs to increase motion, dexterity, and/or strength
- Customized splint fabrication for prevention or correction of injury
- Training in the performance of daily life skills through adapted methods and equipment
- Conditioning prior to returning to work
Do you have an injury or medical condition that is causing pain and limiting your daily activities? Would you like to learn more about how hand therapy can help you eliminate your pain and improve performance? We’ll educate you and be happy to set up a one-on-one consultation. Request a visit from Hands for Living today. Our certified and caring Lynnwood, WA hand therapists are committed to helping you get on the road to recovery. Feel better and get back to your life with occupational therapy and hand therapy.
My therapist was able to help me reach my goals by having empathy and understanding of the emotional part of a life changing injury, while keeping me working toward achieving the most improvement.
I would describe my therapist as AMAZING!! The whole staff is incredible. Such helpful therapists.
I am so thankful for the help I received at Hands for Living. From the moment I first walked into the office I felt supported and listened to.